Stay Calm and Carry-On: Packing For Vacation
Packing has begun for my daughters (and granddaughter) and I to head to the wonderful world of Disney! I’m very excited to be able to be spend some quality time with each of them and get some much needed relaxation. With the the hustle and bustle of school being just weeks away, what better way to get ready than to spend some relaxing time at the most magical place on earth. Even though, the first three days will be business for me, the the rest will be memories in the making.
I must confess, I don’t like packing for trips, it makes me anxious. I’m always worried I’m going to forget something, so to help me take the edge off, I make lists. Making lists keeps me focused on what I need and stops me from over packing or packing things I don’t need.
When making my lists, I break them up into categories: carry-on, purse, and luggage, once I have my categories, I can then branch off that list to make another list of things I need to buy. Finally from that list, I make my shopping lists (for each individual store – since normally I have to go to more than one).
Below are my lists for this trip:
- Computer w/charger
- Travel pillow
- Camera w/charger
- Extra memory cards
- Work (if traveling for business)
- Extra pen and machancal pencil (with extra lead)
- Itenerary (maps, directions)
- Car rental confirmation
- Hotel or resort information
- Keys to car – at airport
- Vitamins and any medicines
- Extra femine products
- Note pad
- Idea books – I now have two books, one for my blog and one for my business. I write down any ideas I have for blog posts, gift basket designs or marketing strategies that come to mind.
- Crossword and Sudoku puzzles (comes in handy for layovers)
- light weight jacket or sweater
- Small shopping bag (reusable)
- TSA approved liquid items: lotion and hand sanitizer (inside ziplock bag)
Purse: There are other items inside my purse, however these are items I make sure I have.
- Wallet (with extra cash for tipping)
- Lip balms
- Gum and mints
- Femine products
- Pen and machincal pencil
- Ear plugs
- Comb and brush
- Business cards – always need to be prepared.
- Outfits – I always make it a rule of thumb to bring two more outfits than days I’m staying. I will be gone 10 days so I’ll pack 12 outfits. I also pack at least one pair of nice jeans – even if it’s hot weather.
- Under garments – the same rule applies for these as my outfits.
- Shoes – I try to keep this very simple since shoes can take up lots of needed space. I make sure I take flip flops and a pair of tennis shoes no matter what season or reason I’m traveling in.
- PJ’s – I don’t typically take a set of pj’s for each night (I don’t own 10 pj sets!)
- First aid kit
- Poncho or rain coat
- Hair care products
- Flat irons and/or curling irons
- Bath products
- Face cleansing products & makeup (also makeup remover pads)
- Shower gel
- Shaving cream
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Stain remover wipes
- Belts & scarfs
- Hair scarf
- Lint roller
Since I’m traveling with my 11 year-old daughter, I perform this same process for her as well. I use my list above as a master and delete items she does not require. If my husband were going, I would modify this list to suit his needs as well.