5 Reason Why I Love the Kids Being Back In School
Last night around 7:30pm – my husband and I realized there were no children outside as far as our eye could see. You can tell school is back is session around my neck of the woods when you don’t see or hear kids laughing and playing after dinner time. Having my kids home with me over the summer is loads of fun, and we always have a great time together as a family. We try to make sure we take mini vacations, vacations and experience things around our own areas too. But, there comes a time to get back in the swing of things and that starts about one week before the kids go back to school. Below are my 5 top reasons why I love when my kids hit the books again.
1. Structure – This is number one for me (even though I’m not putting them in any order). I love having structure, my it’s a huge part of my personality. While the kids are out of school it’s hard to come by, especially since I work from home and I’m not available all the time to bring structure where chaos has taken over. Even though there are pieces of it while the kids are out of school, I long for the structure that comes with them in being in school.
2. Grocery Bill – My 17 year old son could be a professional sneaky eater. Don’t know what that is? That’s the kid that says “I’m not hungry” and then comes down after dinner and eats everything in the refrigerator. I can’t forget about my 11 year old picky eater, she doesn’t eat a lot of things, but the things she does eat…she eats! Our grocery bill almost doubles while the kids are home over the summer.
3. Brain Refuel – I try to keep the kids noodles (brains) in working order over the summer, however they really don’t get the time needed in the books like they do in the classroom. I look forward to hearing about what new things they’ve learned and how they are going to apply what they’ve learned in everyday life. Even better, it’s fun to see them apply something they’ve learned even when they don’t think they’ll ever use it in “real life.”
4. Me Time – Since I work from home, I’m always accessible to my children which I love – that’s the reason I wanted to work from home. But like any parent, we have to make sure we find time for us or we’re no good to anyone. Now that the house is empty during school hours, I have plenty of time to get everything I need to get done without any distractions or interruptions. Once the kids get home, I only have about 1 hour left to work and everything I need done, is done.
5. Early Bed Time – Yes…yes…yes…I – I mean the kids get to go to bed early, Yea! Since both kids are gone from the house before 7am each day, I want to make sure they are getting enough sleep because neither of them are morning people (that also includes my hubby). It’s a job all in itself trying to make sure they are up and doing what they need to do in the mornings. So that means if they are up and at it, I need to be up and at it too.